A man wanted for willful murder has finally surrendered to Madang police after escaping from custody and hiding for some time.
Mr. Jerrord Manasai, also known as Comens, turned himself in to the Madang Transnational Crimes Unit on Monday March 31st, 2025.
Madang Provincial Police Commander, Acting Superintendent Robert Baim confirmed the surrender, stating that Mr. Manasai had been on the police wanted list for almost for some time.
“He was involved in a 2019 murder case and later escaped from custody in 2024,” Baim said. “His surrender brings relief to police and the community.”
Manasai, 29, was accused of killing David Sole at Wagol Pikus. He was among three suspects arrested and detained at Beon Correctional Institution before escaping on April 4, 2024.
One suspect, Isaack Jack (Iceman), was killed in 2020, while another, Jeremiah George (Maia), had already surrendered.
Baim said Manasai’s surrender was due to pressure from police, community leaders, and his family.
“He realized there was no way out,” Baim said. “We thank those who helped in getting him to surrender.”
Manasai remains in police custody and will be charged with murder and escaping from custody.
Baim also encouraged other fugitives who are still on the run to turn themselves in.
“It’s better to surrender and face the law than to keep running,” he said.