The Minister for Tourism, Arts & Culture recalled the impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on the Tourism Industry worldwide and especially in the domestic market and has urged a shift in focus towards the domestic tourism market.
Minister Henry Isi Leonard made this remark when launching the PNG Tourism Promotion Authority’s four year corporate plan 2023-2026 recently at the Stanley Hotel in Port Moresby.
He declared that this newly developed corporate plan will be able to assist and guide the organization in developing this overlooked area of destination marketing.
“The country’s tourism industry is a thriving sector that has so much potential and is integral to PNG’s development agenda.”
“Being the statutory body established by the Government to manage and promote the country’s tourism interest to the world, PNG TPA needs a clear directive to achieving its mandated tasks; and this policy document has been produced to direct its mission and purpose to achieving just that.”
Minister Leonard revealed that the previous Corporate Strategy expired in 2014, meaning the agency had been operating over the last eight years without one in place.
“The re-emergence of a new Corporate Strategy demonstrates a renewed and stronger commitment by PNG TPA to make a positive difference in growing the tourism sector”
He continued that the PNGTPA Corporate Plan 2023-2026 sets a clear vision for the agency and articulates well what PNGTPA will do in the next four years, consistent with the Tourism Promotion Authority Act and the Tourism Sector Development Plan 2022-2026.
The new PNG TPA Corporate Plan has seven strategic priorities, including;
- Expanding Global, Regional and Domestic Reach
- Accelerating Tourism Investment through SMART Policies and Plans;
- Raising the Levels of Tourism Service Education and Management;
- Maximizing Value from Tourism Research and Monitoring;
- Strengthening Tourism Product Development for Sustainable Tourism;
- Maintaining Excellence in Corporate Governance and Performance; and
- Providing Effective Services through Human Resource, ICT and Financial Management.