Parents and students of the new Wingei High School in Yangoru Sausia District, East Sepik Province will dig deeper into their pockets to pay for school fees to register their kids in the 2021 academic year.
“We have worked out the school fee structure from the National Education board and have come up with the school fee structure for 2021. The school fee structure had been calculated to include project fees, teaching and learning and other costs incurred. Also includes GST,” said Headmaster Mr Amos David.
“School fee structure for grade 9s is K950 and parents have to pay 75% of that which is K720 and grade 10s, K990 so parents must pay K750. Parents have to pay 75% during the registration week next year and pay the other 25% later during the school year.”
Wingei High School is relatively new. This year the school had 3 grade 9 classes with just a little over 150 students. For the 2021 Academic year, the school will be having more than 300 students which include the new grade 9s selected from the feeder schools and current grade 9’s continuing to grade 10.
Mr Amos said there was an increase of K50.00 in the fees from the K900.00 school fees for this year and parents must pay 75% of the total fees for next year so their kids can be eligible to register.
He said one of the main issues that the school faced during the 2020 academic year was parents not paying their outstanding component fees.
“The notice for the 2021 school fee structure was put out early so parents are made aware and adhere.”
“The 75% paid will cover for Term 1 and 2 and they can pay the rest for term 3 and Term 4. I am urging parents to pay the 75% so their children can be registered.
He further added that all school fee payments must be done to the school’s bank account as no cash payments will be accepted at the school.
Mr Amos also expressed the need for specialist buildings such as an admin block, science lab, ICT lab, classrooms for Expressive arts and Home economics lessons.
The school also needs a few teachers houses to cater for the teaching staff.