Bougainville has confirmed its second positive case of COVID-19 for the region this week.
The Bougainville Public Health Committee said the case is that of a female, who displayed symptoms of the virus and went in for voluntary testing this week. Her sample was tested at the Buka Triage Center using the Gene Xpert machine and brought back a positive result.
The ABG Health Clinical Team confirmed that her condition is stable and she is currently being treated and is in self-isolation at home. Contact tracing and sample collection has already commenced for close contacts of the positive case, and those currently being tested.
These samples will be tested to determine the status of the contacts and inform intervention to prevent any further spread of the virus. While the COVID-19 Response Team is engaged in its quick response efforts, the general public is urged to remain calm and to strictly adhere to Covid-19 protocols to prevent spread of the virus.
This includes the Niupela Pasin preventive measures which are:
- Wear a facemask or face covering in public places to protect yourself and others
- Keep at least 1.5 meters’ distance between yourself and others.
- Limited social gathering and times spent in crowded places.
- Greet each other without touching. No handshake, no fist or elbow bumps. Greet with a smile, bow, nod or a simple hello.
- Clean hands frequently, wash with soap and water or use alcohol-based sanitizer
- Cough or sneeze into your bent elbow not your hands. Avoid touching your mouth eyes and nose
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
If you have Covid-19 symptoms such as fever, dry cough, sore throat or shortness of breath, call toll-free #: 74460830 or visit your nearest health facility.
The Triage Center located at the Buka General Hospital is operational and has the capacity to conduct assessment of clients and collection of samples for testing.
The public is urged to visit the Center and get tested if you are not feeling well.
While Bougainville is no longer in an emergency period, the ABG through the Bougainville Public Health Committee, will take immediate action to implement necessary precautionary containment measures to prevent any further transmission.