Author: Jordan VELA

The long-standing partnership between the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) and Papua New Guinea’s National Broadcasting Corporation (NBC), strengthened by a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed in 2022, was showcased last night at the advanced screening of WAN KANTRI at APEC Haus in Port Moresby. The extraordinary 60-minute documentary, co-produced over more than a year, takes viewers on a powerful journey through Papua New Guinea’s history, spirit, and traditions, while looking ahead to the next 50 years of independence. Distinguished guests included Sir Robert Igara, Dame Meg Taylor and Sir Moi Avei, were among those who attended the screening last night.…

Read More

The Nasfund Contributors Savings and Loan Society (NCSL) has introduced a digital platform designed to make financial services more accessible for its members. The new system, called MyNCSL Online, allows members to check account balances, download statements, transfer funds, and apply for loans remotely. Higher-tier loan options and an Adhoc Remittance feature for growing savings are also available through the platform. NCSL officer Richard Deregi recently demonstrated the service at Stocks & Partners, registering employee Elizabeth Renagi as a new member and signing her up for MyNCSL using a Wokabaut tablet. Renagi said she was able to access her membership…

Read More

As Kilakila Secondary School turns 60 this year, much of its history risks being forgotten but marking this milestone, the current head boy, Ryan Nongi, has taken it upon himself and the Student Council to preserve the school’s story in line with the anniversary theme “Discovering the History of Kilakila Secondary School”. Speaking to PNG HAUSBUNG, Nongi said he has devoted his time not only to school activities but also to compiling a book that documents school’s past, including the struggles and triumphs that shaped it. The idea was born out of loss. In 2023, a fire destroyed the administration…

Read More

Papua New Guinea’s Barramundis suffered a 4-wicket defeat to Kuwait in their second ICC CWC Challenge League A 2024–26 fixture at the Farmers Cricket Club Ground in St Martin on 24th August 2025. Batting first, PNG struggled to build momentum and were bowled out for 148 in 35.2 overs. Despite a few promising starts, the team was unable to post a challenging total as Kuwait’s disciplined bowling kept the innings under control. Mohammed Aslam starred with the ball, taking 3 for 32 in 6.2 overs, supported well by his teammates. Chasing 149, Kuwait lost early wickets, slipping to 29 for…

Read More

Stakeholders in Western Province have praised the Papua New Guinea Sustainable Development Program (SDP) for taking a transparent and inclusive approach in presenting its 2024 Program Updates. Middle Fly District Administrator Petrus Malongim said the session in Kiunga last week gave community leaders and government officials a clear understanding of SDP’s work across the province. “It gives a clear idea of where your footprints are and your plans going into the future in terms of covering all districts in the province,” Mr. Malongim said. He also indicated his district is exploring a partnership with SDP to support health and education…

Read More

Kilakila Secondary School in Port Moresby city marked its 60th anniversary on Monday with celebrations that reflected not only its proud history but also its struggles and resilience over the decades. The school, located in the Motu Koita heartland of the capital city, was established in 1965 and has since grown from modest beginnings into one of the country’s most respected secondary institutions. Generations of leaders, professionals, and community builders have passed through its classrooms, contributing to Papua New Guinea (PNG) and beyond. Kilakila’s story is one of perseverance. For decades, the school has served students from diverse backgrounds, many…

Read More

In a strong display of youth culture and sporting spirit, Papua New Guinea’s back-to-back hip-hop champions Wan Squad and national rugby player Morea Morea, have been unveiled as the official brand ambassadors for Sparx footwear in the country. The launch took place on Saturday, 23rd August, at Kwalimu Haus, Port Moresby, marking the official entry of Sparx into the PNG market through a 13-year strategic partnership between India’s Relaxo Footwears Limited and local distributor Niumi Distributors Limited. Speaking at the event, Morea Morea shared his pride at being named alongside Wan Squad. “Growing up and being introduced to rugby league…

Read More

The 2025 POM Women’s Basketball League is entering its most thrilling phase, with the top teams advancing to the knockout stage and the Grand Finals scheduled for Sunday, August 31st. After weeks of intense matchups, dramatic comebacks, and standout performances, the competition has produced impressive displays from teams across all divisions. Tournament Coordinator, Slieve Mohu confirmed that the knockout rounds will follow a single-elimination format, featuring the top four teams from each division. “Knockout games are single elimination. Grand Finals will all be played on Sunday, 31st August 2025,” Mohu said. This season saw fierce competition and notable improvements among…

Read More

Celebrating its 35th anniversary month in Papua New Guinea, Trends Beauty International is extending beyond beauty, style, and fashion into the Food & Beverage sector. On Thursday, 21 August 2025, the company officially opened SIDAAM Restaurant & Bar, its third restaurant nationwide and second in Port Moresby with the new outlet is strategically located in Kwalimu Haus Ground floor, Waigani that offers a unique addition to the city’s dining scene. With a menu deeply rooted in one of Asia’s renowned cuisines, Thai food, Chief Operating Officer Mr. Wayman emphasized why a Thai-food restaurant was chosen. “We wanted to look for…

Read More

The Office of Censorship has launched its 2024–2027 Training Plan, a move aimed at building staff capacity and professionalism as Papua New Guinea nears its 50th Independence Anniversary. The event was held on Friday 22nd August 2025 at the Lamana Hotel in Port Moresby city, where government officials, and development partners attended. Chief Censor Jim Abani said the plan was vital to ensure officers are better trained and equipped to meet modern challenges. “This plan is our roadmap to reset and retool our workforce. As we turn 50 years as a nation, our officers must be multi-skilled, professional, and ready…

Read More