Things are moving face following the Supreme Court of Justice Ruling last week ordering the Speaker of Parliament to recall parliament sitting to proceed with the motion of a no confidence vote against the prime minister.
It is especially during such times when things get tense, in the political level and also at the community level. Such is the reality that Prime Minister James Marape came out in a statement, calling for calm amongst the people.
Prime Minister Marape on Thursday 3rd April issued a national appeal for calm and for all citizens to respect the constitutional and legal processes currently underway in relation to the upcoming Vote of No Confidence (VONC).
Speaking ahead of next Tuesday’s Parliament’s sitting, Prime Minister Marape reaffirmed that the Marape-Rosso Government and the broader Pangu-led coalition will not interfere in any way with proceedings before the courts, and that the rule of law remains paramount.
“We welcome the court’s oversight and scrutiny. This Government will not tamper with any court process. We respect the judiciary to the fullest and will comply with all legal requirements,” Prime Minister Marape said.
“At the same time, we reserve our right to invoke a ‘slip rule’ should there be instances where we believe the court’s ruling has encroached into the functions and privileges of Parliament. However, we will only consider this path after the parliamentary process has been completed and in full compliance with the existing court order.”
The Prime Minister confirmed that Parliament stands ready, and Members of Parliament have been informed and are prepared to return. He noted that the decision before them is between the alternative nominee named on 27th November 2024 and himself as the incumbent Prime Minister.
“I ask our people to remain calm and not to take offence. Let the due process take its course in accordance with our laws and Constitution.”
He reminded citizens that the Vote of No Confidence is not new to the country’s political process and is a legitimate part of democratic governance under the Constitution.
“This is not the first time a Vote of No Confidence has been moved, and it will not be the last. It is a constitutional provision. Let our elected leaders exercise the mandate bestowed upon them by the people. In 2027, the people of Papua New Guinea will again have the opportunity to choose their government through the ballot box.”
Meanwhile, the Opposition will continue with the Vote of No Confidence (VONC) motion in next week’s recalled parliament sitting and hopes that fellow Members of Parliament see the need for a change and join them in their quest to oust the prime minister.
Speaking to PNG HAUSBUNG, the Opposition Leader Douglas Tomuriesa, made it clear that once parliament resumes on Tuesday 8th April at 10AM in the morning, the process will continue from where they left off last year.
“As soon it’s (VONC motion) put on the notice paper, the process begins,” said the Opposition Leader.
The recall of parliament was ordered by the Supreme Court of Justice at Waigani in Port Moresby city after it found that the decision by the Private Business Committee to reject the motion of a no confidence on the notice paper was unconstitutional and in breach of Section 111 of the Constitution.
The Court confirmed that the Speaker of Parliament did not follow the standing orders when rejecting the motion on the 27th of November 2024.