The death toll from the 7.3magnitude earthquake that hit the East Sepik province on Monday 03rd April, is expected to climb with the reports coming in from the provincial disaster team on ground.
The Director of the National Disaster Centre (NDC) Colonel Carl Wrakonei said that there have been seven deaths so far from the earthquake as per the partial reports coming from the province.
“The provincial disaster team reported one death in Yangoru- Sausia district, two in Wosera Gaui district, three in Angoram and one in Wewak. The number of casualties is expected to increase,” said the director.
The earthquake left a path of destruction with homes, businesses and public infrastructures damaged, and with many areas hit by the earthquake difficult to reach, it is also quite hard for the disaster teams to reach unless better logistical support is provided by the state and the provincial authority to do so.
It is because of this reason that Col. Wrakonei said the disaster office in the province was unable to send in a full report at one time and whenever the teams do reach the areas affect in the coming days, the death toll and the damages is expected to increase.
However, the Col. is hopeful that a full report can be sent in today so that the NDC can start the process of requesting for funding from the National Government to go towards the relief assistance for the affected communities.