Kimbe Secondary School in West New Britain Province, had its administration block up in flames early Thursday morning at around 3am.
The cause of the fire is still unknown at this time as to what might have caused this incident to transpire. Provincial Police Commander, Chief Inspector John Iara, said that his officers are currently investigating the cause of the incident on whether it was election related or not.
According to Iara, this is the second incident that has occurred in the province where another school building was burnt down.
He said just last week, a classroom at Kimbe Primary School got burnt down as well with the reason still unknown to this day.
Iara however believes this is the work of arsonists who are well taking advantage of the situation by instigating more law and order problems.
“This is a hectic time for us and with the counting currently going on in the province, our police manpower is tied up.”
Iara has appealed to surrounding communities of both schools to come forward and provide any possible information they can relating to the burning down of the two buildings belonging to both schools.
Iara has also expressed disappointment at what has happened and has described the unfortunate occurrence of both events as something terrible especially towards the students.
He further stated that at this time also, police are trying to mount up both incidents and to get to the bottom of it.
Meanwhile, the WNB Education Provincial Board has issued a circular to all school Board of Managements to have all schools close down up until the end of the declaration.