Author: Martha LOUIS

The body of the pilot from the plane that crashed near Sapmanga in Morobe Province has been recovered and flown to Lae, Deputy Prime Minister John Rosso confirmed today. Tragically, there were no survivors among the five people aboard the aircraft. Rosso said the plane, which went missing on Sunday, was carrying four passengers and the pilot en route to Nadzab Airport when it crashed into dense jungle at an altitude of approximately 8,400 feet. He said Search efforts began immediately after the aircraft was reported missing around 10:30 AM on Sunday by initial searches conducted by Manolos Aviation Limited,…

Read More

Efforts to assess the crash site of the North Coast Aviation (NCA) aircraft in the jungles of Morobe province resumes this morning after it was called off yesterday due to bad weather. Due to heavy cloud cover over the mountainous crash site, the team sent in to assess the crash was prevented from being winched down to the jungle floor on Monday afternoon. Manolos Aviation Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Flight Operations Manager, Capt. Jurgen Ruh, confirmed the delay and said a Manolos Aviation nurse has undergone winch training and is ready to support the operation. Yesterday, a helicopter from…

Read More

The wreckage of North Coast Aviation’s (NCA) P2-SAM aircraft has been located, but no survivors have been seen so far. A rescue helicopter from Port Moresby landed at the Manolos Aviation heliport in Lae at around 1:10 PM today, bringing four officers, including a pilot and loadmaster. They were joined by NCA Operations Manager Jordan Thiele, two female medical staff, and a soldier from the Igam Engineering Battalion for the operation. A doctor has also been deployed to the crash site. The Rescue Coordination Centre (RCC) confirmed the aircraft, carrying five people, went missing on Sunday while flying from Wasu…

Read More

PNG HAUSBUNG has confirmed that the wreckage of a North Coast Aviation (NCA) plane has been located from the air by a Manolos Aviation rescue helicopter, however, no sign of survivors has been reported yet. The aircraft, believed to have been carrying the First Assistant Secretary of the Housing Ministry and other officials, was en route from Tewai Siassi district to Lae but failed to arrive as scheduled on Saturday 21st December. Deputy Prime Minister and Lae MP John Rosso, revealed in an update that he joined the first helicopter flight from Lae at 5:30 a.m. today alongside the Manolos…

Read More

Lae police have launched their Christmas and New Year operations to ensure a safe festive season, Acting Lae Metropolitan Commander Chief Inspector James Luan confirmed. The operations, which include city patrols and maintaining public order, have received strong community and business support. Companies such as Trukai, SVS, and Papindo have donated food and water to assist officers during the busy period. In a show of solidarity, the Lae Peace and Order Committee, chaired by Yax Tugula, organized a community-sponsored barbecue for police personnel, a first for Lae. Luan expressed gratitude for the initiative and the backing from residents and business…

Read More

Acting Assistant Police Commissioner (ACP) for Northern Command, Chris Kunyanban, has announced that police operations for the festive season will begin next week. Preparations are in full swing, with community leaders working closely with law enforcement to ensure a safe and enjoyable Christmas period. ACP Kunyanban highlighted the importance of celebrating responsibly, reminding the public to prioritize safety during festivities. “This is a time for families and friends to come together and enjoy, but we urge everyone to do so responsibly.” “Celebrations like parties and sporting events are important, but they should not result in harm or disruption.” He also…

Read More

Acting Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) for Northern Command, Chris Kunyanban, has sounded the alarm over the illegal smuggling of fireworks into Papua New Guinea, calling it a persistent threat to public safety. Kunyanban said while the importation of fireworks is regulated by law, gaps in border security have allowed contraband to flow into provinces like Lae, Madang, Wewak, and even the Highlands. “Limited resources and stretched police capacity make it difficult to monitor and secure our borders effectively,” he said. He added that illegal fireworks often accompany other smuggled goods, including firearms. The issue was highlighted after the recent…

Read More

The Hidden Valley Mine’s efforts to promote sustainable agriculture are transforming Nauti village into a thriving hub for coffee production. The mine’s legacy project, aimed at preparing landowner communities for life after mining, has brought essential training and tools to farmers like Mandra Jason. After years of hard work, Mandra said the workshops helped her boost both her skills and income. “The training changed how we work—it’s made us better farmers.” The support includes infrastructure like a coffee dryer house, helping couples like Shalome Raimon and Raimon Belris refine their operations. “The dryer house has been a game changer for…

Read More

Police in Madang have apprehended a 35-year-old man accused of filming and distributing a video of two teenagers in an intimate act at Coronation Drive Reef, a recording that went viral on social media, causing widespread humiliation for the victims. Madang Provincial Police Commander (PPC), Acting Superintendent Robert Baim, identified the suspect as Mr. Hudson Pinga, of Korogu Village in Wosera Gawi, East Sepik Province. Pinga, who allegedly recorded the couple during their date, is accused of not only filming but also threatening, insulting, assaulting, harassing, and stealing from them before fleeing the scene. The suspect surrendered to police following…

Read More

Police in Madang province have taken a similar approach to that of police in Port Moresby city by increasing the bill amounts for offences committed in a move to deter increase in crime this festive season and onwards. Madang Provincial Police Commander (PPC) Acting Superintendent Robert Baim said the aim is to ensure this festive period is safe and peaceful for all in the province. “We have increased bail amounts for summary offences to K1, 000 or more; similar to the measures in NCD and Central Province. Offenders engaging in group fighting will face bail penalties as high as K10,…

Read More